Within this article I will show you the features of the upcoming release 1.0 of "Stash Project Categories" and try to clarify our major decision to make it a commercial release.
Why now a paid add-on?
Due to the high demand for support and the maintenances costs, we had to make a decision about the future of our product. We evaluated a number of options, such as abandoning it completely, or going to a paid add-on. We decided on the latter option. This said, we are not focusing on making a lot of money out of it, but just on maintaining a healthy budget in order to keep the add-on going.
Some of the advantages you will get from this:
- As this will be an "Atlassian Verified" add-on, compatibility with newer Stash versions is guaranteed,
- We will provide professional support and
- Hopefully we will be able to development new and advanced features.
You might still ask, why are we making this switch now and not earlier. Simply said, with this add-on we had quite a lot of trouble in the past, and had to invest a lot of money to maintain compatibility. On the other hand, we are continuously receiving compatibility requests. Up to this point, we have not been able to fulfill them immediately, and our users have often had to wait a long time until we could answer their requests.
What will it cost?
We still don't know, but it won't be expensive, as our current focus is only on maintenance.
What's new in version 1.0?
Making this a paid add-on gave us the chance to improve it and to implement some new features. Beside some bug fixes and compatibility with Stash 3.0, the release contains the following updates:
Quick Filtering of Projects
Projects can now be filtered within these categories, so you may find them more quickly.
Changes to categories are now audited
The projects audit log will contain information about category changes. Note: the priority of the audit event is "medium".
What else has changed?
There are even more changes:
- The list is sorted by project name and no longer by key,
- The selected category is stored within a cookie and reopened on your next visit,
- Anonymous users are also able to use these categories for public projects, and
- We have greatly improved the performance for many projects.
When will it be released?
We are planning a release for next week.
Any questions or suggestions?